CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

20 September 2007

LJ vs Blogger

Since one of my long-time SF buds has recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer, I've been reading his blog most days to keep track of his progress. He's on LiveJournal, as are a lot of my other SF friends. I put my Spec Fic URL on the end of his blog, and he posted and said why Blogger and not LJ. I explained that I had writing friends on both, but it was the ones on Blogger who first got me into blogging.

What I've noticed, though, is a tendency of my LJ friends to write much shorter posts. I think they spend a lot more time reading each others, and networking, whereas my Blogger friends tend to have longer, more thoughtful posts. It's interesting to speculate on what this says about us as a society, seeing as LJ does seem more set up as a networking tool, and is surely related to why we blog. I know I tend to be philosophical, and like to examine my own life -- why I needed to separate my personal blog from my writing one really.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I too have wondered. The whole internet networking experience is something that Facebook brings as well -- but it only works if all your "friends" check in as often as you do.
As for LJ blogs -- if you sign up now you have to have advertising, which really turned me off. (I was going set up Chenna's blog on LJ to see what it was like, but abandoned it ultimately because of the ads.)
One advantage of having "friends" associated with your blog/Facebook page is that you get notifications when they change things. However, if you're that keen, you can set up feeds from Blogger and cover it that way.

Tracey said...

Yes, if I had feeds where would be the joy of discovering a new post (though otoh it would save the time spent trawling for new posts when there are none).