CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

12 August 2007

Titles

Titles really are not my thing. I struggle with them. My friend Sherryl who thinks she struggles with them -- at least I think she thinks she struggles with them -- is brilliant at them. She can always be relied upon to cough up some title more deep, more meaningful, more nuanced and layered than I ever could. Frankly, I suck at titles.

When I started my swamp blog, I knew what I wanted to call it. Swamp. Short and simple. Easy. But when I tried to get that address for my tumblog, it was already taken. So I went for Swamp Musings. But as I've been musing over my swamp blog, I'm starting to think I should've called it "An appreciation of clouds", because that's what it seems to be about as much as the swamp. This year we are having some great clouds! Here's a photo of today's clouds, and one naughty dog (paddling in the distance) who escaped out the front door and ran off.


But back on the subject of titles. I had my novel titles all worked out: Shadow Knight, Shadow Fall and Shadow and Pariah. Of course, when I first worked out my titles, years ago, there weren't as many shadow titles around. Then Raymond Feist brought ot a shadow-titled book as did one of my friends. And then a magazine came out called Shadow Fall. And when I really think about it, my main character isn't a knight -- he's a soldier. So now I've decided that the first book is going to be called Shadow and Pariah, but I have no idea about books two and three -- only that they will have to follow the same sort of formula. Parallel construction is a beautiful thing! I can see that's why Philip Pullman's first book was titled The Golden Compass in the States, rather than using it's UK and Australian title Northern Lights. Anyway, I suppose in time the titles will come. No point getting stressed about it.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I find that my titles (including chapter titles) emerge from the writing. I always know that when the ideal title doesn't smack me in the face that something is not quite 'right' with the piece. This is also the case with any article I write for work. That's why I can never understand writers (and there are many of them) who come up with the title first! Of course, with a novel you need a working title to make you feel good.

Tracey said...

Mmm, my problem is they never smack me in the face. Ever. I've come up with titles for poems before the poem sometimes, but even with poems it's usually a matter of writing it and then casting around for something I can call it. Maybe I need to wish for a few more smacks-in-the-face!