CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

01 May 2008

Dumb things

Oh, today I had the culmination of a dumb moment. I cannot believe it. Here's how it played out:

I'm in the bank, see, filling out my form. I've just written a cheque and dated it 2 May, but when I look at the date in the bank it says the first. Oh, they've forgotten to change it, I think, and for reassurance I touch my mobile phone. Hang on a minute: it says 1 May. Freaky. That can't be right. So I stand there and think. They must've forgotten to change the date, and the phone is out because it's a leap year, and it's like daylight savings and doesn't automatically correct. Except the logic is wrong -- it should then show the third.

Okay, Tuesday was the 29th -- I know this because the prior Tuesday was the 22nd, and I know this because it was my birthday, and I had to do my long day at work. 22 + 7 = 29. But it says today is the first. And today is Thursday. It is Thursday, right? What did I do yesterday? Work? No, I was at my writer's group: today is definitely Thursday. The banking staff must've got the date wrong. I count out knuckles to check my maths. Looks right. But there are only 28 days in April -- 29 this year because of the leap year. So what was the date on Wednesday? I've lost a day somewhere. Was Wednesday a non-day? How can that be? It can't. It's nonsensical. And yet -- and yet -- Wednesday doesn't have a date. It's after April, but before the first of May. It's no-month day. Bizarre. Wondrous.

So I make my way over to the line for the tellers, determined that I will ask if they have the day wrong. And then it hits me -- there are actually 30 days in April. Not 28/29. That's February's domain.

Oh, God.

It just occurs me that in both my Tuesday classes I've made a joke about this day coming around only once in every four years, and they've chosen to spend it with me. And in neither class did anyone laugh -- or point out the error of my thinking. They must've been wondering if I were on drugs!

Oh, well. It'll make my mum happy, as I still remind her of the dumb things she said when we were travelling.

2 comments:

mimbles said...

Oh dear! Too funnny :)

I never know what the date is, even if I've just spent half the morning at the uniform shop writing it on receipt after receipt. I have to check my watch every time. Just can't get it to stick in my head!

Just T said...

Sorry, but that is funny! It's something that I would do. Trust me, I am the queen of dumb lol