CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

07 July 2007

School holidays

School holidays, during winter, are a nightmare. Kids lolling all around the house, fighting, driving me nuts. I want to write. My son sees my sitting at the computer as an invitation to come and chat. I tell him to go away, and he looks hurt. The rain, though I'm extremely happy to see it, has them housebound, unable to go out and play. Though they don't seem to go out "and play" anymore, anyway. My daughter has her music blaring, and thumps around above my head (her bedroom is over the study) like an elephant on a rampage. I want to write. I want them to be quiet, live harmoniously, not disturb the neighbours with their yelling and screaming -- or make me yell and scream like a harridan. I want to write. My fingers itch for peace, for the feel of reins and a warm horse's neck as I segue into the world of my characters. But my son's constant chatter keeps me here. The new pup's whingeing keeps me here. My husband's growling at the kids keeps me here. Too many barriers to the fictional dream.

Night is mine. When the kids go to bed. But more and more I find their time encroaches on mine. My time is squeezed into the after-midnight hours, and these days I find that time leaner and leaner, because I live on the edge of sleep-deprivation. Something has to give, but one thing's for sure: it's not going to be my writing time!

Let sleeping dogs lie: Georgia, our Golden Retriever and Luna, our Toller pup

3 comments:

Lisa66 said...

Tracey, I can really identify with this post. Horrible as this sounds I just want my big kids to go back to school so I can find some writing time. I've haven't written at all these holidays!! I usually write everyday. I've been sick, which hasn't helped, but it's mainly the endless cries of "Mum!" that have put a real dent in my writing time.

Sherryl said...

And please, can my husband go back to work (please someone give him a job!)? Otherwise we'll need a desert island to send them all to. A big one.
PS like the new colour scheme!

Tracey said...

Hi, Lisa, yes, it's frustrating, isn't it? And it makes me feel really guilty when I feel resentful about having them around. It can be lovely and fun, but always I'm thinking that I should be writing. Hope you're feeling a bit better!

Thanks, Sherryl. I did play around with colours for a bit. I liked one of the other templates, too, but Princess Sleepyhead's using it for her blog.