CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

24 June 2008

Romance or lack thereof...

I have the best husband in the world: he is kind, he is patient, he tolerates my writing and the house being in a mess because I'm writing and not cleaning the house, and he tolerates getting dumped with the kids because I'm on a writing retreat with my writing group or with my friend Ellen. He doesn't mind that I go to a reading rather than spend family time -- as long as I don't want to drag him along. He helps around the house. He is the best husband in the world. But he is not perfect.

So what doesn't he do? He doesn't do romance.

Take the other Friday night, for example. Princess Sleepyhead's formal. It was also a few days after our wedding anniversary. We had been going to go out for dinner for our anniversary, which is a huge thing because he would normally say why would he want to go out when he can have a nicer dinner at home. Men just don't get dinners out. (And if he thinks my meals are better than restaurant meals, he also lacks a fine culinary appreciation.)

So, the night of the dinner out, he was ill. Really ill. Miserable with a cold. So I suggested postponing it to the Friday night, when we were going to be stuck in downtown Tullamarine with several hours to kill, waiting to pick up PS. Okay, he said, let's do that.

Fine. Except that then Sir Talkalot tagged along. Okay, a romantic dinner for three. Not quite what I had in mind.

Oh, and in the food court. Did I mention that? Definitely not what I had in mind. I was thinking candlelight, soft music, some sort of romantic ambiance, fine food. Instead, I got food court. My choice of takeaway, and I should be grateful for that! Hmm.

Except, did I also mention, he decided he wasn't hungry, so while ST and I ate, he wandered off to look at shops. A nice romantic for two: my son and I. Most definitely not what I had in mind. As I said, men don't get dinners out, and my husband doesn't get romance! (But he's still the best husband in the whole world!)

4 comments:

mimbles said...

Heheh. Sounds like it was a real special night :P And here I was thinking we'd hit rock bottom when out 15th anniversary dinner consisted of takeaway chinese at home with the kids!

Adam does do romance, I'm the one who's deficient in that department, I get all suspicious about ulterior motives and can't relax and enjoy it :P He's pretty keen on dinners out too, the downside of which is our eating out budget is frequently seriously strained, 'cause hey, if I'm being let off cooking I ain't gonna say no!

Shrinking Tardie said...

Frog, despite the fact that he is French by birth, sadly lacks an accent or a sense of romance! Yes, I was monumentally ripped off!

But he's wonderful in so many other ways. He cooks, doesn't complain about the house between it's twice yearly end of semester clean out, helps with the kids, helps with the house when I ask him to, deals with my frustration with Em's school yada yada yada.

But I think the most romantic thing he ever said to me was "Nat, quit your job and finish your degree full time. Material things can wait." And he meant it even though he knows I want to stay at school full time for another 5 and a half years!

Oh, and that after that he'll have to get used to everything being addressed to Dr Tard and husband *big grin*

I think I'm pretty bloody lucky - romance or not!

Nat

Heather said...

Oh men! They can get it all wrong with anniversaries and birthdays, but seem to make up for it in other ways. I've given up hinting...I have to be super straight if there's a chance of romance.

But my DH has got these lovely ladies at work (maternal types) that hammer him over special ocassions...and now he's shaping up quite nicely. They even vito (sp?) his present choices.

Cleo said...

haha you make me laugh girl!!!

Sounds like a real romantic evening.
We can't get everything we want aye? Damn!!