CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

16 July 2008

How exciting is this

Last Tuesday, as part of the school holidays, we went up to the viewing platform of the Rialto, which happens to be one of my favourite Melbourne buildings. Sir Talkalot, who'd been up before, was not at all keen to go because he wanted to go up Eureka instead. (For those who don't know Melbourne, the Rialto was for a long time the tallest building, but has recently been surpassed by the newer and much taller Eureka tower.) But we had cheap tickets (through a newspaper voucher) for the Rialto. Watch this space over the next few days, and I'll put up some of the photos. I'm very attached to place, so took lots of photos, and I love them all.

Anyway, while up there I found this groovy wall thingy (and didn't I wish I had an SLR with a polarising filter so I could cut the reflections, but I didn't so I couldn't, so my apologies for the crappy photos). Okay, so it's a world map with all the time and date zones, but it also shows what parts of the world are in sunlight at any one time. Now, I have never seen this before and found it wildly exciting, something that completely baffled and mystified my kids, who got to see their mum in all her geeky nerdiness. But I love this device. Look at the sweep and curve of sunlight -- how it portrays the seasons too. This wasn't quite the winter solstice for us, but fairly close. Now I'll have to go see it near the equinox.

0 comments: